Newsmax – June 19, 2018
The Trump administration withdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday, making good on a pledge to leave a body it accused of hypocrisy and criticized as biased against Israel.
“For too long, the Human Rights Council has been a protector of human rights abusers, and a cesspool of political bias,” Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the UN, said Tuesday at the State Department in Washington. She said the decision was an affirmation of U.S. respect for human rights, a commitment that “does not allow us to remain a part of a hypocritical and self-serving organization that makes a mockery of human rights. ”
The 47-member council, created in 2006 and based in Geneva, began its latest session on Monday with a broadside against President Donald Trump’s immigration policy by the UN’s high commissioner for human rights. He called the policy of separating children from parents crossing the southern border illegally “unconscionable.”
EDITH M. LEDERER – December 22, 2017
UNITED NATIONS (AP) – The U.N. Security Council unanimously approved tough new sanctions on North Korea Friday in response to the latest launch of a ballistic missile that Pyongyang says is capable of reaching anywhere on the U.S. mainland.
The new sanctions approved in the council resolution include sharply cutting limits on North Korea’s imports of refined oil, forcing all North Koreans working overseas to return home within 24 months, and cracking down on shipping to and from the country.
But the resolution doesn’t include even harsher sanctions sought by the Trump administration, such as prohibiting all oil imports and freezing the international assets of North Korea’s government and its leader, Kim Jong Un.
DAVID E. SANGER and CHOE SANG-HUN – September 4, 2017
WASHINGTON — The Trump Administration, warning that North Korea is “begging for war,” is pressing China and other members of the United Nations Security Council to cut off all oil and other fuels to the country.
The effort, which senior administration officials described as a last best chance to resolve the standoff with the North using sanctions rather than military means, came as South Korean officials said Monday that they had seen evidence that North Korea may be preparing another test, likely of an intercontinental ballistic missile.
That test, which would be the nation’s third in a month, could be timed to mark the anniversary of the founding of North Korea by Kim Il-sung, the grandfather of the current leader. It is unclear where the test might be aimed, but Pentagon officials said they were examining options in case it was meant to demonstrate that the North could put a missile, with accuracy, off the coast of Guam, an American territory.
Arutz Sheva – August 30, 2017
The Trump Administration is increasing pressure on the United Nations to prevent its publishing a blacklist of companies that do business in Judea, Samaria, the Golan Heights, and eastern Jerusalem.
Channel 2 News reported that US Ambassador to the UN Nikky Haley conveyed messages through diplomatic channels to senior UN officials to the effect that the US will cut all funding to the UN Human Rights Council if the blacklist the UNHRC drafted is published.
Ambassador Hailey also reportedly threatened that the US would leave the council altogether if the blacklist was published.
The Israeli delegation to the UN, which is closely following the Council’s repeated attempts to publish the list, is waiting to see how members will react to the American threat.
Raoul Wootliff – August 28, 2017
Senior members of the Trump administration and Israeli officials renewed talks over the possibility of moving the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, a promise repeatedly made by the president in the 2016 election campaign, during high-level meetings in Israel last week, the Times of Israel has learned.
Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner, peace envoy Jason Greenblatt and Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategy Dina Powell met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday as part of a visit to the region in a bid to revive Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts.
During that meeting, the embassy move “was brought up by both sides as part of a productive broad conversation about a number of issues,” a US source familiar with the discussions said Sunday, declining to reveal the specifics of discussion.
WIN – January 25, 2017
The Trump administration has frozen Obama’s quiet, last minute cash gift to the Palestinian Authority.
Former US President Barack Obama, in his waning hours, quietly released $221 million to the Palestinian Authority (PA), which Congress had been blocking.
The Trump administration announced it is freezing the move.
The State Department is reviewing the last-minute decision by former Secretary of State John Kerry to send $221 million dollars to the Palestinians.
Kerry formally notified Congress that State would release the money Friday morning, just hours before President Donald Trump took the oath of office.
The funds — supposedly intended for reconstruction in Gaza and good governance programs for the Palestinian Authority — were being blocked by at least two Republican lawmakers— Ed Royce (R-CA), the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, and Kay Granger (R-TX), who sits on the House Appropriations Committee — in response to Palestinian attempts to join international organizations, from which it intended to launch more international campaigns against Israel and before a peace deal with Israel.
Leo Hohmann – December 5, 2016
Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas, says he’s got a plan already in place that will likely eliminate sanctuary cities on Day 1 of the Trump administration.
At least 14 cities have spoken out defiantly in the wake of President-elect Donald Trump’s surprise victory last month, saying they will continue to offer sanctuary to illegal criminal aliens regardless of Trump’s attempts to end the sanctuaries, Culberson says.
But Culberson says the power of the purse is something Congress has at its disposal, and he intends to help Trump shut off the flow of federal dollars to sanctuary cities.
As chairman of the House Appropriations Committee’s subcommittee on commerce, justice and science, Culberson said he acted on July 7 to notify the Department of Justice that it will need to change its policy.
“I have quietly installed an off-switch that the Department of Justice and Attorney General Loretta Lynch, at my request, changed official DOJ policy on July 7 and notified every state and city in the country that unless you comply 100 percent of the time with federal requests to deport criminal illegal aliens in your jails or prisons, you will lose all your federal law enforcement money,” Culberson told Shannon Bream of Fox News.