Samuel Smith – April 11, 2017
A Florida middle school teacher has been fired after she assigned her students a questionnaire that asked a number of “inappropriate” questions about race, sexuality, religion and culture.
Local news outlets have reported that Daryl Cox was relieved of her duties at Fox Chapel Middle School in Spring Hill, Florida, after she gave her sixth grade students in her “Leader in Me” class an assignment that was copied from the book, Exploring White Privilege, written by philosophy professor Robert Amico.
The questionnaire, titled ‘How Comfortable Am I?’ asked students to answer how comfortable they would be if presented with a number of different situations.
The students were asked to choose from a 1-to-4 scale — one being “not comfortable at all” and four being “completely comfortable” — to rate their comfort level with 41 hypothetical situations.
According to Tampa Bay’s CBS News affiliate, the situations in the worksheet include:
- “A friend invites you to go to a gay bar.”
- “You go to a gay bar and a person of the same sex asks you to dance.”
- “A group of young black men are walking toward you on the street.”
- “The young man sitting next to you on an airplane is Arab.”
- “Your brother’s new girlfriend is a single mother on welfare.”
- “Your new roommate is Jewish.”